National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has issued an updated guideline on assessment, management, monitoring and inpatient care of patients with eating disorders across all age groups.
- Individuals with eating disorders should receive assessment and treatment at the earliest opportunity.
- All individuals should have equal access to treatments irrespective of their demographic, socioeconomic and health status.
- GPs should immediately refer patients with suspected eating disorder to a community-based, age-appropriate eating disorder service.
- Patients with anorexia nervosa, binge eating disorder, bulimia nervosa and other specified feeding and eating disorders should receive appropriate pharmacological and psychological therapies outlined in the guideline.
- This guideline updates and replaces NICE guideline CG9 (January 2004).
Eating disorders: recognition and treatment | NICE guideline [NG69] | May 2017