Change4Life together with Disney and Sport England launches ’10 minute shake up’ campaign to help get children more active.
The number of children meeting the recommended amount of physical activity for healthy development and to maintain a healthy weight, 60 minutes a day, drops by 40% as they move through primary school.
A new survey from Public Health England (PHE) and Disney looked at the effects of physical activity on children’s emotional wellbeing, and found:
- being active made the majority of 5 to 11 year olds feel happier (79%), more confident (72%), and more sociable (74%), according to their parents
- nearly all children said they liked being active (93%)
- the main motivations for kids to be more active was having friends to join in (53%) and having more activities they liked to choose from (48%)
- children’s overall happiness declines with age; 64% of 5 and 6 year olds said they always feel happy, compared to just 48% of 11 year olds
- 19% of children said they were less active due to a lack of sports or activities they enjoyed